Back to Articles
Cabrini Softball Star Karlie Perque Named Amateur Athlete of the Month for April
Wednesday, May 13, 2015
Sophomore star Karlie Perque, from the Cabrini softball team, has been selected as the Greater New Orleans Amateur Athlete of the Month for April. The monthly award-winners are chosen in voting by the Greater New Orleans Sports Award Selection Committee, sponsored by the Allstate Sugar Bowl.
Greater New Orleans Amateur Athletes of the Month
Perque nearly tossed back-to-back no-hitters in the state playoffs for the 20th-seeded Crescents in April. In the first round of the playoffs on April 21, the hard-throwing sophomore tossed an eight-inning no-hitter in a 5-0 victory over No. 13 Tioga; she tallied 18 K's while walking just one in that performance. She followed that up by striking out 10 with just one walk while allowing only a sixth-inning infield single in a 10-0 regional round Class 4A playoff victory over No. 4 Lakeshore on April 25. She also added three hits of her own in that game. Perque also had a no-hitter against Westgate in April, striking out 11 of the 15 hitters she faced. She did not allow a run in her final three starts in the month as she capped April with a 6-2 record with a 0.66 ERA, 60 strikeouts and five shutouts, including the two no-hitters.
Perque earned the honor over seven other standout athletes in the area:
- Cody Ducote (Delgado Baseball): Posted a .525 batting average in April while leading the Dolphins to the Region XXIII Championship.
- Catherine Fakler (Xavier University Women's Track): Won all five events she entered to lead the Gold Nuggets to the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference Championship.
- Dominik Koepfer (Tulane Men's Tennis): Named Tulane's Male Athlete of the Year after tallying a perfect April and finishing the year ranked No. 10 in the country.
- Brandon Pierce (LSU Men's Golf): Covington product finished ninth at the SEC Men's Golf Championship to help LSU to the team championship.
- Jacob Seward (Southeastern Louisiana Baseball): A sophomore from Brother Martin, he batted .444 in April with 18 runs scored and 14 RBI, collecting hits in all 16 games during the month as part of a school-record 24-game hitting streak.
- Tea Juric and Jackie Wegner (Tulane Sand Volleyball): Posted a 13-2 record in April as a duo for the Green Wave, finishing the regular season with a career/program-best 27-8 record.
The Greater New Orleans Sports Selection Committee has been selecting an Amateur Athlete of the Month each month since 1958. The athlete must be a native of the greater New Orleans area or must compete for a team in the metropolitan region in order to be eligible. Each of the monthly award winners will be honored in the summer at the Greater New Orleans Sports Hall of Fame Induction and Awards Ceremony, hosted by the Allstate Sugar Bowl.