Nelson WhitneyGolf, 1905-20
- Established himself as a golf pioneer in the early 1900s.
- The only player to win the Southern Amateur Championships (which was a match play event from 1902-63) five times.
- He took the title in 1907 (Atlanta), 1908 (Memphis), 1913 (Montgomery), 1914 (Memphis) and 1919 in New Orleans.
- Also was the runner-up three times in the Southern Championships.
- His greatest individual feat was likely defeating the legendary Bobby Jones head-to-head in the semifinals of the 1907 Southern Championships.
- In his only US Open appearance, he tied for 40th place in the event at Columbia Country Club in Maryland.
- Inducted into the Southern Golf Association Hall of Fame in 1974.